Iowa law requires that any person, homeowner, professional, public or private entity, planning to engage in any form of excavation within the state of Iowa, must notify the Iowa One Call notification system, at 1-800-292-8989, at least 48 hours prior to excavating. The national 811 three-digit dialing system also allows easy access to Iowa One Call. Now it’s easier than ever to request underground facility locates, just dial 811.
Iowa law states that if you are excavating, including digging, you must call Iowa One Call at least 48 hours in advance of your digging (48 hour advance notice does not include Saturdays, Sundays or legal holidays) in order to minimize the risk of damaging any type of underground facilities (electric, gas, communications/television, water and sewer). The service is free and so is the phone call. Making the phone call can help eliminate the risk of disrupting service, and greatly reduce the potential risk of serious personal injury.
When calling Iowa One Call please have the following information ready:
- County, city, street name, address or township and section number.
- Caller’s phone number (very important).
- Date and time the work will be done.
- Details of how the area is to be marked and what type of work will be done.
If you have an emergency situation, please inform Iowa One Call with the details. A situation is considered an emergency when locates are needed immediately (in less than 48 hours). The following are considered emergency situations:
- An unforeseen excavation is necessary to prevent a condition that poses clear and immediate danger to life and/or health.
- An excavation required to repair a utility service outage.
- An immediate excavation required in order to prevent significant property/environmental damage.
It’s really very simple. One phone call can save a life, save you and others from being out of power, or save a costly repair bill. Visit www.iowaonecall.com for more information.