Top 10 list of electrical safety tips:
- Call Western Iowa Power Cooperative immediately if you see an electrical hazard. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day. Call us at 800-253-5189.
- Have a family plan outlining what to do in case of electrical emergency. For example, call 911 for injuries or electrical fires, and stay away from downed power lines.
- Read and follow all safety instructions that come with appliances you purchase and use.
- Follow safety procedures if your equipment or vehicle comes in contact with a power line, including: 1) try to drive out from under it if you can or 2) stay in place and have someone call for help immediately or 3) if you must leave the vehicle: jump clear without making contact with the ground and vehicle at the same time.
- Install and repair electrical outlets and appliances using precautions and safety measures, including shutting off power (and testing to be sure power is off), safety equipment and tools, and/or hiring a licensed electrician to do the job.
- Plant trees at least 30 feet away from power lines so the tree won't eventually grow into the lines.
- Do not attempt to remove items (fallen tree branches, kites, etc.) from power lines.
- Never attempt to move or raise electric lines; instead call Western Iowa Power Cooperative at 800-253-5189 for assistance.
- Be aware of power line locations when moving farm equipment and know what to do if you come in contact with lines.
- Keep all objects (ladders, farm equipment) at least 10 feet away from power lines.
Click for more safe electricity information.